Bromphen PSE DM: Ingredients, Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, COVID-19
What Is Bromphen PSE DM?
Bromphen PSE DM is a combination medication used to temporarily treat symptoms caused by the common cold, flu, allergies, or other breathing illnesses. It generally helps relieve cough, runny nose, itchy eyes, and other symptoms.
Bromphen PSE DM contains the following active ingredients:
(in each 5 mL)
|Pseudoephedrine HCl||Nasal Decongestant|
|Dextromethorphan HBr||Cough Suppressant|
|*Some products may contain additional ingredients|
Brompheniramine relieves red, irritated, itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; and runny nose caused by allergies, hay fever, and the common cold. Brompheniramine helps control symptoms but does not treat the cause of the symptoms or speed recovery. Brompheniramine is in a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a substance in the body that causes allergic symptoms.
Pseudoephedrine is used to relieve nasal congestion caused by colds, allergies, and hay fever. It is also used to temporarily relieve sinus congestion and pressure. Pseudoephedrine will relieve symptoms but will not treat the cause of the symptoms or speed recovery. Pseudoephedrine is in a class of medications called nasal decongestants. It works by causing narrowing of the blood vessels in the nasal passages.
Dextromethorphan is used to temporarily relieve cough caused by the common cold, the flu, or other conditions. Dextromethorphan will relieve a cough but will not treat the cause of the cough or speed recovery. Dextromethorphan is in a class of medications called antitussives. It works by decreasing activity in the part of the brain that causes coughing.
Bromphen PSE DM is available in the following doses:
- Bromphen PSE DM Bottle 118ML of 30-2-10MG/5ML
- Bromphen PSE DM Bottle 473ML of 30-2-10MG/5ML
- Bromphen PSE DM Cup 5ML of 30-2-10MG/5ML
Is Bromphen PSE DM a controlled substance?
Although widely abused, Bromphen PSE DM is not a controlled substance under The Controlled Substances Act (CSA). However, it is only available on prescription because it contains pseudoephedrine, a sought-after ingredient for the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine which is a schedule 2 controlled substance.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
• blood vessel disease
• difficulty passing urine
• high blood pressure
• other chronic disease
• stomach ulcer
• taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in the last 14 days
• thyroid disease
• an unusual or allergic reaction to brompheniramine, dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
• pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take Bromphen PSE DM?
Follow the directions on the prescription label. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Household spoons are not accurate. Take this medicine with food or milk if it upsets your stomach. Take your doses at regular times. Do not take more medicine than directed.
|Adults and children 12 years of age and older||2 teaspoonsful|
|Children 6 to under 12 years of age||1 teaspoonful|
|Children 4 to under 6 years of age||1/2 teaspoonful|
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction to this medicine and need smaller doses.
What happens if I miss a dose?
This medicine is used when needed. If you are on a dosing schedule, skip any missed doses. Do not use two doses at one time. Do not take more than 6 doses in 24 hours.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. Overdose symptoms may include feeling depressed or restless, fast or irregular heartbeats, severe drowsiness, loss of coordination, or seizure.
What are the side effects of Bromphen PSE DM?
Common side effects of Bromphen PSE DM include:
• loss of appetite
Bromphen PSE DM can cause serious side effects, if you experience any of the following, report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
• allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
• breathing problems
• changes in vision
• fast or irregular heartbeat
• feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
• high blood pressure
• trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
This list may not describe all possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What should I avoid while taking Bromphen PSE DM?
- Ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking other cough or cold medicines that may contain similar ingredients.
- Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how this medicine will affect you. Your reactions could be impaired.
- Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. This medicine can decrease sweating and you may be more prone to heatstroke.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). Talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they get worse, call your doctor. If you have a severe sore throat, fever, or thick yellow or green mucus, call your doctor.
- Some brands of this medicine may contain alcohol. Read the label carefully or ask your pharmacist so you know what is in your product.
- Children may be more sensitive to this medicine than adults, especially if they take too much. Always read the medicine label closely so you give your child the right amount. Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you are not sure how much medicine to give your child.
Can I use Bromphen-PSE DM for COVID?
No current medicine can prevent or cure COVID-19, but some medications may help alleviate symptoms and manage the impact of the virus. Studies have shown that Bromphen-PSE DM, helps thin and loosen mucus, making it easier to expel from the lungs. Bromphen-PSE DM can also inhibit the body’s cough reflex and help treat a persistent dry cough.