How Fast Does Lupron Injection 3.75 Take To Work?
What Is Lupron Depot 3.75?
Lupron Depot is a brand-name prescription medication that contains the drug leuprolide acetate, which belongs to a class of drugs called gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists. It works by blocking your body from creating certain hormones, such as estrogen or testosterone. This can help stop certain cells from growing.
Lupron is used as a palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer in men. (Palliative treatment is given to help relieve the symptoms of a condition and improve quality of life. It’s not used to cure a disease or prolong someone’s life. Other uses of Lupron include:
- to relieve pain associated with endometriosis and to reduce the size of lesions (uterine tissue that forms outside the uterus) from this condition in women
- to reduce the size of uterine fibroids (noncancerous tumors in the tissue around the womb) in women, which helps relieve bleeding and pelvic pain or pressure.
What’s Lupron Depot-Ped?
Lupron Depot-Ped is a brand-name prescription medication that’s used to treat central precocious puberty in children. With this condition, children begin their sexual development earlier than usual (before age 8 for girls and before age 9 for boys).
Lupron Depot-Ped contains the active drug leuprolide acetate (the same as Lupron Depot). By blocking the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone, Lupron Depot-Ped delays puberty while it’s being given. Although Lupron Depot-Ped and Lupron Depot contain the same active drug, they treat different conditions.
What Drugs, Substances, or Supplements Interact with Lupron Depot 3.75?
There may be other drugs that can interact with Lupron Depot. Tell your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications and supplements you use.
Lupron Depot 3.75 During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Lupron Depot must not be used during pregnancy. It may harm a fetus. Non-hormonal birth control methods (e.g., condoms, diaphragm with spermicide) are recommended during treatment. It is not known if this medication passes into breast milk. Because the effects of this drug on a nursing infant are unknown, breastfeeding is not recommended.
How fast does lupron injection 3.75 take to work?
Generally, Lupron injection 3.75 begins working immediately in your body. However, it usually takes about 2 to 4 weeks to see the full effects of the treatment (such as symptom relief) because your body goes through monthly cycles to produce hormones.
How long does a 3 month Lupron shot stay in your system?
The effects of Leuprolide acetate will decrease after you stop taking the medicine. If you’ve been getting Lupron every 3 months, your period will usually return within 4 to 8 months after your last shot. If you’ve been getting Lupron Depot every month, your period will likely return 6–8 weeks after your last shot.
What are the possible side effects of Lupron Depot 3.75?
Lupron Depot 3.75 may cause serious side effects including:
• bone pain,
• loss of movement in any part of your body,
• rapid weight gain,
• unusual changes in mood or behavior (crying, anger, irritableness),
• sudden chest pain or discomfort,
• dry cough,
• painful or difficult urination,
• increased thirst,
• increased urination,
• dry mouth,
• fruity breath odor,
• pain or unusual sensation in your back,
• numbness, weakness or tingly feeling in your legs or feet,
• muscle weakness or loss of use,
• loss or bowel or bladder control,
• chest pain or pressure
• pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder,
• sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body),
• sudden severe headache, and
• slurred speech
Get medical help right away, if you have any of the symptoms listed above.
The most common side effects of Lupron Depot 3.75 include:
• hot flashes,
• scaly skin,
• mood changes,
• general pain,
• vaginal swelling, itching, or discharge,
• breakthrough bleeding,
• weight gain,
• decreased testicle size, and
• redness, pain, swelling, or oozing where the injection was given
Tell the doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of Lupron Depot 3.75. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.