Deflet 6 Tablet is a brand of Deflazacort that contains 6mg of the active ingredient. Deflazacort is in a class of medications called corticosteroids. It works by reducing inflammation (swelling) and by changing the way the immune system works.
Deflet 6 Tablet is used to treat Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) a genetic condition that affects the muscles, causing muscle weakness. It is a serious condition that starts in early childhood. The muscle weakness is not noticeable at birth, even though the child is born with the gene which causes it. The weakness develops gradually, usually noticeable by the age of three. Symptoms are mild at first but become more severe as the child gets older.
The incidence of DMD globally is every 1/3500 male births. In Europe and North America, the prevalence of DMD is approximately 6 per 100,000 individuals.
Deflet 6 Tablet is also used for the treatment of some inflammatory conditions that affect muscles and joints such as arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. It also helps in the management of other inflammatory conditions like asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, uveitis, allergies, and ulcerative colitis.
How should Deflet 6 Tablet be used?
Deflet 6mg comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day with or without food. Take Deflet 6 Tablet at around the same time every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take Deflet 6 Tablet exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
If you cannot swallow the tablet whole, you may crush the tablet and mix it with applesauce. The mixture should be taken immediately.
Your doctor may need to change your dose of Deflet 6 Tablet if you experience unusual stress on your body such as surgery, illness, or infection. Tell your doctor if your symptoms improve or get worse or if you get sick or have any changes in your health during your treatment.
Do not stop taking Deflet 6 Tablet without talking to your doctor. Stopping the drug abruptly may cause symptoms such as loss of appetite, an upset stomach, vomiting, drowsiness, confusion, headache, fever, joint and muscle pain, peeling skin, and weight loss. Your doctor will probably decrease your dose gradually to allow your body to adjust before stopping the drug completely. Watch for these side effects if you are gradually decreasing your dose and after you stop taking the tablets or oral suspension. If these problems occur, call your doctor immediately.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s information for the patient.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Is Deflet 6 Tablet safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding?
Corticosteroids should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Infants born to mothers who have received substantial doses of corticosteroids during pregnancy should be carefully observed for signs of hypoadrenalism.
Corticosteroids are excreted in breast milk, although no data are available for deflazacort. Doses of up to 50 mg daily of deflazacort are unlikely to cause systemic effects in the infant. Infants of mothers taking higher doses than this may have a degree of adrenal suppression but the benefits of breast feeding are likely to outweigh any theoretical risk.
What should I avoid while taking Deflet 6 Tablet?
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with Deflet 6 Tablet and lead to unwanted side effects. Avoid the use of grapefruit products while taking Deflet 6 Tablet.
While taking Deflet 6 Tablet and for at least 4 to 6 weeks before you start taking it: Do not receive a “live” vaccine or you could develop a serious infection.
• Live vaccines include measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), polio, rotavirus, typhoid, yellow fever, varicella (chickenpox), zoster (shingles), and nasal flu (influenza) vaccine.
• You may still be able to receive a yearly flu shot or an “inactivated” vaccine to prevent diseases such as hepatitis, meningitis, pneumonia, shingles, HPV, or whooping cough.
• Ask your doctor before getting any vaccine.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Call your doctor for preventive treatment if you are exposed to chickenpox or measles. These conditions can be serious or even fatal in people who are using steroid medicine.
What are the side effects of Deflet 6 Tablet?
Side effects of Deflet 6 Tablet include:
• Cushingoid appearance
• Weight gain
• Increased appetite
• Upper respiratory tract infection
• Urinary frequency
Less common side effects of deflazacort include:
• Runny or stuffy nose
• Excess unwanted hair growth
• Central obesity
• Abdominal discomfort
• Eye disorders: increased earing
• Gastrointestinal disorders: indigestion/heartburn, nausea,
• General disorders and administration site conditions: Thirst
• Infections: stye, impetigo, influenza, outer ear infection, sore throat, tooth abscess, urinary tract infection (UTI), viral infection
• Injury, poisoning and procedural complications: Back injury, contusion, face injury, fibula fracture, greenstick fracture, heat exhaustion
• Investigations: Glucose urine present, heart rate irregular
• Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders: Back pain, muscle spasms, muscle pain, neck mass, neck pain, pain in extremities
• Nervous system disorders: Dizziness, psychomotor hyperactivity
• Psychiatric disorders: Affect lability, aggression, depression, emotional disorder, middle insomnia, mood altered, mood swings, sleep disorder
• Renal and urinary disorders: Abnormal coloration of urine, painful urination, hypertonic bladder
• Reproductive system and breast disorders: Testicular pain
• Respiratory, thoracic, and mediastinal disorders: Hypoventilation, runny nose
• Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders: Acne, hair loss, dermatitis
• Vascular disorders: Hot flush
What drugs interact with Deflet 6 Tablet?
Deflet 6 Tablet can interact with the following medications
This list is not complete and many other drugs may affect Deflet 6 Tablet. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.