Express Scripts is a pharmacy benefit management (PBM) company that provides prescription drug services and pharmacy-related solutions. Here is some information about Express Scripts:
Express Scripts, now part of Cigna Corporation, is one of the largest PBMs in the United States. PBMs are third-party administrators of prescription drug programs for health insurance plans, Medicare Part D plans, and other organizations. They work to manage the distribution and costs of prescription medications.
Express Scripts offers a wide range of services, including:
• Pharmacy Benefit Management: This includes processing prescription claims, managing drug formularies, and negotiating prices with drug manufacturers.
• Home Delivery Pharmacy: They provide mail-order pharmacy services, allowing patients to order and receive their medications by mail.
• Specialty Pharmacy: Express Scripts has a specialty pharmacy division that focuses on complex, high-cost medications often used to treat chronic or rare conditions.
• Patient Assistance Programs: They offer programs to help patients with financial assistance or co-pay support for their medications.
• Clinical Services: Express Scripts also provides clinical support, such as medication therapy management and prior authorization services.
3. Customers: Their clients typically include health insurance companies, employers, government programs, and other organizations that offer prescription drug benefits to their members or employees.
Online Services: Express Scripts has an online platform that allows members to manage their prescription medications, order refills, check drug prices, and access resources related to their pharmacy benefits.
Acquisition: In March 2018, Cigna Corporation announced its intention to acquire Express Scripts, which was completed in December 2018. The acquisition created a vertically integrated health services company.
It’s important to note that the specific services and offerings of Express Scripts may evolve over time, so for the most up-to-date information about their services and capabilities, I recommend visiting their official website or contacting them directly.
How do I start using the Express Scripts Pharmacy for home delivery?
You can choose one of these easy methods:
• Call Express Scripts at 877-603-1032, and let them do all the work. For most medications, Express Scripts will be able to contact your doctor and arrange for your first mail-order supply.
• Ask your doctor for a new prescription for up to a 90-day supply, plus refills for up to one year (if appropriate). Then, have your doctor fax the prescription to the Express Scripts Pharmacy. (Only your doctor can fax your prescriptions.)
For refills remaining on covered medications you take regularly and fill at a retail pharmacy, log into Express-Scripts.com, scroll down the Order Center page to “Transfer your retail prescriptions,” and select the medications you’d like to transfer. Express Scripts will do the rest. (If you’re a first-time visitor to the Express Scripts website, please take a moment to register using your member ID number and a recent prescription number.)[This FAQ is provided and written by Express Scripts.]