10 Top Alkaline Water Benefits and Side Effects
What is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is water that has a higher pH level than regular drinking water. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral, and lower numbers indicating more acidic solutions, and higher numbers indicating more alkaline or basic solutions.
Alkaline water typically has a pH level between 7.5 and 9.5, which is slightly more alkaline than regular tap water, which typically has a pH level of around 7.0. Alkaline water can be produced through various methods, such as adding minerals or electrolytes to the water or using a water ionizer.
The concept of alkaline water is not a new one, and it has been around for centuries. In fact, natural springs and wells throughout the world have been known to produce naturally alkaline water due to their mineral content.
In modern times, the use of alkaline water has gained popularity in the health and wellness industry. The first electric water ionizer, a device that produces alkaline water through a process called electrolysis, was invented in Japan in the 1950s. The use of alkaline water for health purposes has since become popular in countries such as Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan.
In the United States, alkaline water began to gain attention in the 1990s when a company called Essentia Water began selling bottled alkaline water. Since then, many other companies have started producing and marketing alkaline water products, such as alkaline water pitchers, filters, and bottled water.
Is Alkaline Water Good For You?
Yes, but while alkaline water is generally considered safe to drink, it is not recommended as a replacement for regular drinking water. It is also important to note that individuals with certain medical conditions, such as kidney disease, may need to avoid or limit their intake of alkaline water due to its potentially high levels of minerals or electrolytes.
If you are considering drinking alkaline water, it’s best to talk to your healthcare provider first to determine if it is safe for you and whether it offers any potential benefits for your specific health needs.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
Alkaline water is touted by some as having several health benefits. However, it is important to note that the scientific evidence supporting these claims is limited, and some claims may be exaggerated by some companies. Here are 10 potential health benefits of alkaline water:
1. May help neutralize acid in the body: Alkaline water is believed to help neutralize acid in the body by reducing the amount of hydrogen ions in the blood, which can help balance the body’s pH levels. This, in turn, may help improve overall health and prevent certain diseases.
2. May improve hydration: Some proponents of alkaline water believe that it is more easily absorbed by the body and can provide better hydration than regular water. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support this claim.
3. May improve digestion: Alkaline water is believed to help improve digestion by reducing acid reflux and heartburn symptoms. However, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of alkaline water for these conditions.
4. May boost the immune system: Some proponents of alkaline water believe that it can help boost the immune system by providing the body with essential minerals and antioxidants. However, more research is needed to support this claim.
5. May improve bone health: Some research suggests that alkaline water may help improve bone health by reducing bone loss and increasing bone density. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
6. May help reduce oxidative stress: Alkaline water is believed to have antioxidant properties that can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
7. May improve skin health: Some proponents of alkaline water believe that it can help improve skin health by reducing inflammation and providing essential minerals to the skin. However, more research is needed to support this claim.
8. May help regulate blood sugar levels: Some research suggests that alkaline water may help regulate blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
9. May improve athletic performance: Some athletes and fitness enthusiasts believe that alkaline water can improve athletic performance by providing better hydration and reducing muscle fatigue. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
10. May help reduce cancer risk: Some preliminary studies suggest that alkaline water may help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as colon cancer. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings and determine the optimal level of alkalinity for cancer prevention.
Alkaline Water Side Effects
While alkaline water is generally considered safe for most people to drink, there are some potential side effects that you should be aware of. Here are a few to keep in mind:
1. Altered blood pH levels: Drinking too much alkaline water can increase the pH level of your blood, which can lead to a condition called alkalosis. Symptoms of alkalosis can include nausea, vomiting, muscle twitching, and confusion.
2. Mineral imbalances: Alkaline water may contain high levels of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium. While these minerals are essential for good health, consuming too much of them can lead to mineral imbalances, which can cause a variety of health problems.
3. Gastrointestinal issues: Drinking alkaline water can sometimes cause gastrointestinal issues such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and go away on their own, but if they persist or become severe, you should seek medical attention.
4. Interactions with medications: Alkaline water can interact with certain medications, including some antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs. If you are taking any medications, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider before drinking alkaline water.
5. Cost: Alkaline water can be expensive to purchase or make at home, especially if you are using an electric water ionizer or other specialized equipment.
Overall, while alkaline water is generally safe for most people, it’s important to drink it in moderation and to talk to your healthcare provider before making any significant changes to your diet or drinking habits.
How To Make Alkaline Water
There are several ways to make alkaline water at home, including:
1. Adding baking soda: Adding a small amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to water can increase its alkalinity. However, it’s important to note that adding too much baking soda can be harmful to your health.
2. Using alkaline drops or powders: Alkaline drops or powders can be added to water to increase its alkalinity. These products typically contain minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which can help raise the pH level of the water.
3. Using an alkaline water filter: An alkaline water filter can be used to remove impurities from tap water and increase its alkalinity. These filters typically use a combination of minerals and other materials to raise the pH level of the water.
4. Using an electric water ionizer: An electric water ionizer is a device that uses electrolysis to separate the water into acidic and alkaline components. The alkaline water can then be used for drinking or other purposes.
It’s important to note that while these methods can increase the alkalinity of water, it’s unclear whether alkaline water provides any significant health benefits compared to regular drinking water. If you are considering drinking alkaline water for health purposes, it’s important to talk to your healthcare provider first and make sure that it is safe for you and does not interact with any medications you may be taking.